Today is my day off; a reward for traveling for 36 hours to get here. I don't start work at the clinic until tomorrow, so I had some time today to explore the town of Valdez. I had some specific destinations in mind including: the bakery, the natural food store/espresso shop, the public library, the Valdez museum, the water, the outdoor gear store (I told Tommy I would check and see if they rented tele equipment), and the post office. I had to wait to head out until 10am when it was finally pretty light out and a tad warmer than it was earlier. I have never appreciated long-underwear like I do now and that is really saying something since, as most everyone who knows me can attest, I love long-underwear. Now I am back and watching the snowflakes begin to fall; cozy.
Here are some photos from my travels:
 |
| My house! I have a room on the bottom floor, so you can imagine it is kinda dark and igloo-like which I guess is appropriate since I am in Alaska! |
 |
| Public radio station. |
 |
| Does anyone think this might be a subsidiary of the Mai Thai in Hanover? |
 |
| Sorry for the poor photo (I was trying to be stealthy since I thought the Valdezians might be suspicious of me taking photos of their church), but yes, you can visit this church on the web in case anyone is interested. |
 |
| Junior High. |
 |
| Valdez Library. |
|
|
 |
| My library card. |
 |
| The first book I checked out, very excited. |
 |
| My new fav place: the Natural Foods Store/Cafe where I got a hot cocoa and some delicious granola. |
 |
| Sadly, the museum is closed on Mondays. |
 |
| Does this make anyone else think of the mural in Northern Exposure? Holly, I'm looking at you. |
 |
| Valdez po-po. |
 |
Isn't there a TV show about these guys?
|
 |
| Idling is totally not frowned upon. Every parking lot I saw had at least one idling truck out front with drivers nowhere to be seen. The Norwich housewives would be up in arms. |
 |
| Not open on Mondays! And "closed for new baby" (see below); can't argue with that! |
 |
| This place has ALL the gear. But does NOT rent tele gear, to Tommy's dismay. |
 |
| Small boat harbor, the closest I got to the bay. |
 |
Small boat harbor again.
|
 |
| "Across the Bay"; Those concrete flat things in the background are part of the Alyeska pipeline which ends in Valdez and is the biggest employer in the town. |
 |
| A street near the harbor with one of the town's more popular eatery's, Mike's Palace, on it. |
 |
| The coolest VE-hicle I saw today. |
 |
| Another house buried in snow; never gets old! |
 |
| Snowbanks galore. |
 |
| The mountains are SO HUGE! |
 |
| This is around 10:30am, not a ton of light! But we are gaining about 5 minutes per day. |
No comments:
Post a Comment